Thursday, September 20, 2012

Geomancy

Meaning: divination by interpreting or joining together dots and lines; either on the ground (possibly after throwing handfuls of dirt in the air) or on paper. That's right, Mr Squiggle and the eponymous Miss Jane were actually geomancers - they must have edited out the bit concluding each episode where they predicted the future.

Usefulness: 1 (can be applied to handwriting, art, a dirty bathroom etc.)

Logofascination: 2

In the wild: This is my (now) weekly -mancy post, but this particular -mancy is quite old; it is referred to in Piers Plowman and Chaucer's Parson's Tale.

Degrees: 1

Connections: n/a

Used in: the -mancy list (which may well end up with its own page, at this rate) in G&P, but also in the Second Book, XVIII: How a great scholar of England would have argued against Pantagruel, and was overcome by Panurge.  The scholar introduces himself at length, and concludes:
"And indeed, having heard the report of your so inestimable knowledge, I have left my country, my friends, my kindred, and my house, and am come thus far, valuing at nothing the length of the way, the tediousness of the sea, nor strangeness of the land, and that only to see you and to confer with you about some passages in philosophy, of geomancy, and of the cabalistic art, whereof I am doubtful and cannot satisfy my mind; which if you can resolve, I yield myself unto you for a slave henceforward, together with all my posterity, for other gift have I none that I can esteem a recompense sufficient for so great a favour."

No comments:

Post a Comment